When operations ended at our client’s northern former gas plant field, they wanted to understand the environmental impacts and how they could effectively manage and reduce their environmental liabilities. The field included former wells, a decommissioned gas plant, and an air strip.
Matrix Solutions conducted environmental site assessments to determine the extent of impacts from petroleum hydrocarbons, metals, and salts. We used the results from the delineation program to develop more accurate estimates of environmental liability. Our client also asked us to act as technical experts to address regulatory requirements and reporting and to include traditional land use requirements of the local First Nations community in the assessments.
As a northern site, we considered the short field season, difficult access, limited labour and equipment, and the remoteness of the location. Field logistics included the use of barges, helicopters, ice roads, ice bridges, and specialized vehicles to carry people and equipment while minimizing damage to roads and site surfaces.
Working with our client, we were able to develop and execute a plan that reduced estimates of client’s environmental liability while meeting regulatory requirements and addressing stakeholders’ considerations.
Oil & Gas
- Environmental site assessments
- Environmental permitting and approvals
- Hydrogeology services
- Information management
We routinely lead characterization of stream morphology to:
- Assess fluvial erosion hazards
- Develop alternatives for erosion control in environmental assessments
- Develop management strategies as part of land use planning (subwatershed, secondary, tertiary plans and site plans)
- Assist in culvert/bridge design
- Define erosion thresholds to inform stormwater management