Our pipeline client had commitments from oil producers to use their current and prospective pipelines to get Bakken crude oil to market. To achieve this goal, provincial and federal regulatory applications needed to be submitted, stakeholder concerns needed to be met, and an interprovincial pipeline needed to be built.
Matrix was asked to complete Section 52 and Section 58 National Energy Board (NEB) applications, complete a number of other provincial and federal permits, provide environmental inspection and monitoring during construction and post construction, and support the construction management of the project.
To meet the commitments made to the pipeline company’s clients, a condensed schedule to receive NEB approval was implemented. This required a close working relationship between Matrix and our client and the submission of a technically sound application that would require few follow-up information requests from regulatory and other stakeholders.
With support from Matrix, the client successfully navigated the regulatory process, received approval from the NEB, and completed the construction of the pipeline in time to meet their commitments.
MARKETPipelines Oil and gas
July 2013 – Feb 2019
- Environmental permitting and approvals
- Environmental compliance monitoring
- Information management
- Aquatic resources management
- Hydrogeology services
We routinely lead characterization of stream morphology to:
- Assess fluvial erosion hazards
- Develop alternatives for erosion control in environmental assessments
- Develop management strategies as part of land use planning (subwatershed, secondary, tertiary plans and site plans)
- Assist in culvert/bridge design
- Define erosion thresholds to inform stormwater management