CANA was hired by a local transmission utility company to replace a transformer and conduct upgrades to an existing substation. The utility company, who CANA was working for, had project specific environmental requirements which CANA was obligated to meet.
Matrix Solutions was hired by CANA to ensure that all of the utility company’s environmental requirements were met. We developed a site specific environmental construction and soil management plan to guide the excavation and the remediation of soil contaminated with transformer oil.
During construction, we provided on-site soil specialists to provide direction to excavation crews and to take confirmatory soil samples.
In addition, we also completed periodic environmental site inspections to document the contractors performance against the utility company’s environmental standards.
Power and electrical utilities
July 2013 – Feb 2019
We routinely lead characterization of stream morphology to:
- Assess fluvial erosion hazards
- Develop alternatives for erosion control in environmental assessments
- Develop management strategies as part of land use planning (subwatershed, secondary, tertiary plans and site plans)
- Assist in culvert/bridge design
- Define erosion thresholds to inform stormwater management